The Bumblebee and the Vespa 2014

I think it's time for me to redefine what this new blog is about. In the past I've posted individual blogs for motorcycle/motor scooter rides to places like Alaska, Nova Scotia, Key West, Mexico, Canada, New York, etc. That's all well and good but it seems nowadays I'm dividing my rides into shorter ones comprised of two or more weeks each on different bikes. The total time and mileage is about the same, it's just split into multiple rides with a break somewhere in the middle.

The summer of 2014 serves as a good example of that wherein I rode south to Tombstone, AZ on my '92 BMW R100GS Bumblebee/Ural sidecar rig, (phew!) then returned home for a few days and set out again on my '07 Vespa 250ie motor scooter to visit Canada. That summer has gone and the seasons have changed as will the reports, some will be about shorter rides, some will be about maintenance, and maybe on occasion I'll post a photo or two just for interest. I may even introduce other bikes, a few of which are lurking under cover in the barn...

Navigating this blog is easy, just scroll down the list of posts by date to whatever interests you, click on it and you're in. Photos can be viewed in larger format by clicking on them.

Finally, if you'd care to post comments please do so, I'd love to hear from you. CLICK ON "NO COMMENTS" TO ENTER YOUR REMARKS. That seems really silly but that's how it works. The entry window is located at the bottom of each screen. Thanks for visiting, I hope you enjoy your stay.

LL

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Jul 07 - Day 05 2015 Tour - Great Falls, MT

Got a fairly late start this morning, mostly due to catching up with yesterday's blog report. Sure felt good to crash early last night though so it was worth it.It was almost ten o'clock before I was loaded up and back on the road. zzzzzzzz  zzzzzzzzzz  zzzzzzzzzz

First stop was to gander at one of the biggest lumber operations I've seen so far on this trip. Montana seems to be very conscientious about timber management and it looks it while you're traveling through.

 

Today's ride would take me along MT 200, another scenic road running along the Blackfoot river and through some beautiful range country.

Blackfoot River





Montana ranches must be among the most beautiful in the world, all lush and looking well tended, even the smaller spreads.
Some of their houses look like they might belong to a Hobbit or two
While riding along the Blackfoot I spotted a sign directing tourists to the ghost town of Garnet. I was hooked even though it was an eleven-mile drive, the first half paved and the rest gravel. Dusty gravel. Real dusty gravel...cough cough!


 First stop was to look at the tiny cemetery where five miners were buried.





Next was a way-point cabin where travelers could find shelter and emergency rations. It's still in use today.
















You might have to share your space with cirtters

Today's fare included two cans of fruit cocktail & a filtered smoke
Arriving at Garnet you're impressed with how orderly everything is. Very friendly people working there.

This is a marvelous place to spend a few hours. It's easy to imagine what living here must have been like.

Kitchen in the hotel

Hotel dining room

Ghostly person with big ol' belly looking for food

Newlyweds cabin 

Free rent for newlyweds -wotta deal!
I probably spent way too much time wandering around Garnet but it was sooo interesting. After getting back on the road and not having any luck scrounging for food in the old hotel dining room I was ready for lunch.
Not too far down the road I came across Trixi's Antler Saloon which from the outside looked like a rough biker bar. Hey, I'm a biker right? 
Trixi's  Antlered Saloon, home of the porky sandwich 

These be antlers. Montanans  know what art's all about
So you didn't believe me about the Porky sandwich, eh?

Done with the Porky it was time to move along. I'd planned on making better time but the ghost town had really held things up so my day was pretty well shot. I stopped for a quick photo of the Continental Divide sign and a looksee at the Fort Shaw sign, then hightailed it on into Great Falls to look for lodging. Love my GPS, it found the Comfort Inn right next to a Wendy's so I'm in for the night.




So there we be boys & girls, a grande day spent chasing ghosts in the Montana hinterlands. The only wild life I saw was an eagle souring overhead but too far away to photograph. Still a great day all told and I'm ready for a lie-down. Even did me laundry! 

Today's miserable mileage a meager 204.

LL



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments & feedback [unless you're with the spelling police]