The Bumblebee and the Vespa 2014

I think it's time for me to redefine what this new blog is about. In the past I've posted individual blogs for motorcycle/motor scooter rides to places like Alaska, Nova Scotia, Key West, Mexico, Canada, New York, etc. That's all well and good but it seems nowadays I'm dividing my rides into shorter ones comprised of two or more weeks each on different bikes. The total time and mileage is about the same, it's just split into multiple rides with a break somewhere in the middle.

The summer of 2014 serves as a good example of that wherein I rode south to Tombstone, AZ on my '92 BMW R100GS Bumblebee/Ural sidecar rig, (phew!) then returned home for a few days and set out again on my '07 Vespa 250ie motor scooter to visit Canada. That summer has gone and the seasons have changed as will the reports, some will be about shorter rides, some will be about maintenance, and maybe on occasion I'll post a photo or two just for interest. I may even introduce other bikes, a few of which are lurking under cover in the barn...

Navigating this blog is easy, just scroll down the list of posts by date to whatever interests you, click on it and you're in. Photos can be viewed in larger format by clicking on them.

Finally, if you'd care to post comments please do so, I'd love to hear from you. CLICK ON "NO COMMENTS" TO ENTER YOUR REMARKS. That seems really silly but that's how it works. The entry window is located at the bottom of each screen. Thanks for visiting, I hope you enjoy your stay.

LL

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Sep 13 Day 24 - The Old Spanish Trail - Klamath Falls, OR


I think I'm definitely hooked on Best Western properties as the place to stay. Even when there's a discrepancy it's minor and their staff seems able to correct it without delay. Unless it's an issue with the Internet and their ISP of course, and even Best Western probably has support challenges. 

This morning the hotel put on a spread for breakfast that would last me all day, right through lunch without missing a beat. I'll resist listing all the goodies they put out but there were enough choices I doubt anyone would be disappointed.

When I stepped outside to begin the loading process the sky was as ominous looking as it could be and nearly dark even though it was well after 8:00 am. The sun was making a feeble attempt to shine but against the dark smoke filled haze there was little hope of getting through. 


8:30 am and  it's dark

This is actually a pretty good image of what it looked like
I'd already gassed up last night so all I had to do was load my gear and head out. With so much smoke in the air there was little chance I'd take any decent pics so I stuck to the freeway system I-80 from Elko to Winnemucca, NV and there turning onto 140 for the rest of the run to Klamath Falls.

Once you leave Winnemucca the stretch of highway 140 has little in the way of fuel stops, one Chevron station that's located around 17 miles north of town and the next one is at the little burg of Adel, over 150 miles away. 

Presuming they're open on Sundays I kept my fingers crossed that I'd make it. My two little reserve fuel bottles were full and that should carry me over the top if things got sticky. Thankfully they were open and busy pumping beer to the bow hunters and a few local cowboys. I was the big gas sale of the day, ten bucks to fill up, 2 1/2 gallons of regular. I was happy to get it.

Barely over the border into Oregon you come to Doherty peak overlooking the huge plain below. In past visits I'd stopped for pictures on the way up but this time I thought I'd stop at the hang glider launch site, way at the top. It's located on the opposite side I was traveling in so I just pointed the Bonnie towards the little pull-out and coasted in. 

Oops....what looked like firm surface turned into 3-inch deep pea gravel and I quickly found myself washing through it, wobbling away towards the edge of the cliff. Good thing I'd scrubbed off enough speed before hitting the gravel or I'd have first hand experience at launching the Bonnie ala hang glider style. 



Really great view from the launch site 
I continued making good time and by mid-afternoon I knew I'd make Klamath Falls for the night. The temperature had risen and I was glad I'd started the day with that in mind, I didn't have to stop and remove anything.


Ranch land on the way to K Falls
I'd had such bad luck with the Quality Inn/Comfort Inn offerings lately and such good luck with Best Western I decided to stay at the Olympic Inn, another Best Western facility. 

What a find! Besides having a great price - under a hundred bucks with discounts - they provided a light supper starting at 4:30 pm. Two soups - cream of broccoli and beef stew, and two sandwiches, ham & Swiss and turkey with mild cheddar. Plus coffee, tea, juice, etc. I made it my dinner, sampling everything. Considering the money they saved me by not having to buy dinner they're light years beyond those other guys. You remember them, right? The greedy guys?
  
Yes, I stole this picture. I'm sorry. 
So that's the deal for today, 425 easy miles on the Bonnie ending with a great hotel. That's how it's supposed to work isn't it? I'm a happy camper.

LL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments & feedback [unless you're with the spelling police]