The Bumblebee and the Vespa 2014

I think it's time for me to redefine what this new blog is about. In the past I've posted individual blogs for motorcycle/motor scooter rides to places like Alaska, Nova Scotia, Key West, Mexico, Canada, New York, etc. That's all well and good but it seems nowadays I'm dividing my rides into shorter ones comprised of two or more weeks each on different bikes. The total time and mileage is about the same, it's just split into multiple rides with a break somewhere in the middle.

The summer of 2014 serves as a good example of that wherein I rode south to Tombstone, AZ on my '92 BMW R100GS Bumblebee/Ural sidecar rig, (phew!) then returned home for a few days and set out again on my '07 Vespa 250ie motor scooter to visit Canada. That summer has gone and the seasons have changed as will the reports, some will be about shorter rides, some will be about maintenance, and maybe on occasion I'll post a photo or two just for interest. I may even introduce other bikes, a few of which are lurking under cover in the barn...

Navigating this blog is easy, just scroll down the list of posts by date to whatever interests you, click on it and you're in. Photos can be viewed in larger format by clicking on them.

Finally, if you'd care to post comments please do so, I'd love to hear from you. CLICK ON "NO COMMENTS" TO ENTER YOUR REMARKS. That seems really silly but that's how it works. The entry window is located at the bottom of each screen. Thanks for visiting, I hope you enjoy your stay.

LL

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Jul 03 - Day 10 Bumblebee - Green River, UT Mormon Alert!

Woke up to sunshine this morning, much nicer than drizzling rain. Breakfast at the Super 8 was, uh, limited but I did OK. Two packs of Instant Quaker Oats straight up, hot water only, the manly way.. Orange juice too. I had coffee in my room, not the kind of stuff I'm used to but it helped get my heart started.

On the road I continued to follow whatever highway I was on yesterday - thought it was I-25 but somehow I got off that and turned west as I'm now in Utah instead of Wyoming. Odd.... I knew I was in Utah because of their big ol' sign saying so. Not long afterwards I stopped at a tourist attraction mainly because I was overheating and needed a break. Actually my fanny needed the break so off I got. Turned out to be a decent stop although the 'point of interest' was way the hell up on a hill top and I wasn't so sure I wanted to go. However the place was crawling with kids and moms and they were all scurrying up to see whatever so I figured I might as well too. Helluva walk but I offed my gear, grabbed a nice cold iced tea out of the cooler, camera in hand and up I went. Damn near died but I made it. The moms and all their hyper kids were already on their way back by the time I came dragging in. Buncha show-offs. I parked my butt on a cement bench [nice] and let my heart rate fall back in line with people who plan on living longer.

With the requisite tourist photos out of the way I stumbled back down to the parking area where I was approached by a guy who asked if he could pose his Mario doll on the hack for a photo. He said he carries the damn thing with him all the time and takes pics of it that he sends home to his little girl. Yeah right buddy. Anyway I said go for it which made him happy and after he related most of his life story involving how awful the Chicago winters are and how much nicer living in LA is going to be he drove away. Thank you Jesus. Huh? Wait a minute, I'm in Utah now, probably should check out the local deity before I go tossing names around. Joe Smith or something isn't it?

Moving right along I covered a whole bunch more miles through the beautiful Utah desert and arrived at Green River where I'm now in for the evening. Well, all night actually but you get the drift.

So here's today's fabulous pics:

Hey izzat SNOW up there? First I nearly croak from the heat, now it's snowing?

Morbid thought for the day: Do you suppose they put little signs on the trees that skiers crash into? Like "Sunny Bono boinked his head on this puppy and look what that got him." Might not be such a bad idea. No?

Colorado has more than their share of  scenic stuff. Maybe snow and freezing temperatures are a trade-off? Seems reasonable enough.


Yessiree boys & girls, I be in Utah! Soon as I ride past that sign. Till then I be in Colorado. See how that works?


Road side point of interest  Utah style. 

There it is, calling to me...c'mon up you old fool, have a heart attack.

The view of....what? You thought there'd be more? Huh!

Well I'll be damned, they got me again.

I can see BB via the telephoto, doesn't look like anyone's stealing stuff. Nice.

'Cept maybe for this guy, the one with the Mario doll...

You thought I was joking, right?
 So that's it for now, another hysterical day of wild adventure blazing through the great southwest astride an old German motorbike. People continue to make nice comments although I've noticed a bit of restraint to pass me when I'm standing up on the pegs going 70 mph. Gotta stretch those aging pins and that's how it's done. Probably looks a little spooky though.

Tomorrow should be interesting, it's the 4th of July and I don't have a reservation anywhere. Probably time to try out my new tent....334 happy miles today.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments & feedback [unless you're with the spelling police]