The Bumblebee and the Vespa 2014

I think it's time for me to redefine what this new blog is about. In the past I've posted individual blogs for motorcycle/motor scooter rides to places like Alaska, Nova Scotia, Key West, Mexico, Canada, New York, etc. That's all well and good but it seems nowadays I'm dividing my rides into shorter ones comprised of two or more weeks each on different bikes. The total time and mileage is about the same, it's just split into multiple rides with a break somewhere in the middle.

The summer of 2014 serves as a good example of that wherein I rode south to Tombstone, AZ on my '92 BMW R100GS Bumblebee/Ural sidecar rig, (phew!) then returned home for a few days and set out again on my '07 Vespa 250ie motor scooter to visit Canada. That summer has gone and the seasons have changed as will the reports, some will be about shorter rides, some will be about maintenance, and maybe on occasion I'll post a photo or two just for interest. I may even introduce other bikes, a few of which are lurking under cover in the barn...

Navigating this blog is easy, just scroll down the list of posts by date to whatever interests you, click on it and you're in. Photos can be viewed in larger format by clicking on them.

Finally, if you'd care to post comments please do so, I'd love to hear from you. CLICK ON "NO COMMENTS" TO ENTER YOUR REMARKS. That seems really silly but that's how it works. The entry window is located at the bottom of each screen. Thanks for visiting, I hope you enjoy your stay.

LL

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Jun 29 - Day 06 Bumblebee - Silver City, NM

Crimoney, I'm in New Mexico pardner! Helluva day today, great riding all day long. Got to see some really weird stuff like the border patrol thrashing the bushes looking for illegals, then I took a short foray off road thinking I was somewhere I wasn't. Visited Tombstone, then later on a museum complete with the largest bunch of rattlesnakes I've ever seen. I know damn well I'll have nightmares tonight!

When I arrived at Silver City I stopped to gas up and a guy on the next island drove off with the hose still in his truck. Just like in the movies but for real! Then he went a little ballistic, I think maybe he was having a breakdown so I got the hell out of there before he went really nuts. After that I checked into my old standby Motel 6 where I'm finally getting caught up with this blog. Here's today's pics:

Oil blob below BB gave me a start this morning. I thought it was from my bud's Buick but later on discovered it was from the Bumblebee. Bugger all, if my ride's drizzling oil maybe I should carry a drip pan with me?

Ran down this overgrown single-track, found myself in a nasty sand trap and nearly didn't make it out. Full throttle was the only choice which made for one heck of a ride. Got lucky on that one, no shovel or tackle with me.

This was the place where I had my little off-road adventure


Old buildings - what more can I say? Notice the white windows are painted boards? No?
No way was I going to hike that far.


On to Tombstone

Never got the Jewish connection when I visited before. Odd....

An amazing amount of dead folks here. 

These guys got stuck where it wouldn't inconvenience the gentry

Oops...wouldn't that just tick you off?

Bisbee was the copper mining capitol of the world for years 

Lavender pit operation...luverly, just luverly

We pause to check a map. We weren't lost. Nope.

Man I wuz hotter'n a popcorn, uh, well yeah, one of those. 

Plaques. Can you read the inscription? No? Best have your eyes checked.

Geronimo gave it up not far from this memorial. Bet he liked that.

I'm turning into a tourist, stopping at every darn one of these markers.

I thought there was going to be something about a rodeo on this one. Duh...

Now these people know about tourists, they've got snakes and everything. I mean live ones, hissy buggers that can kill you just by biting you. I know I'll have nightmares tonight, no doubt about it. And I paid good money to get in. Eww...

More road stretching out in front of us. We saw lots of border patrol guys in this area. I thought it was too damn hot to be hunting illegals but I suppose they're used to it. Sure wouldn't want them hunting me and I ain't even Mexican....mostly not anyway.

So there ya go boys and girls, I'm done in and ready to hit the hay. I would too but there's some idiotic big-footed moron stomping around in the room above me making enough noise to wake the dead. Maybe it's the yahoo from the gas station out on bail? 

Forgot to record today's mileage but my fanny comfort meter tells me it may have been substantial. Life is good.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments & feedback [unless you're with the spelling police]